OLD NORTH RESTORATION
The University of Central Oklahoma
The restoration of Old North was a one-of-a-kind project due to the historic nature of the facility and the materials used when it was originally constructed in 1893. The project was completed in three phases over 16 years with Miles Associates providing planning documents and drawings to help with targeted fundraising efforts.
The building now includes high-tech classrooms, conference rooms, a dining room and kitchen, a storm shelter, student lounges, and administrative offices. Many historical elements, including replica-tin ceiling tiles and fixtures, exposed original chalkboards, and reclaimed wood floors were incorporated to maintain the building's authenticity.
PHASE ONE began in 2001 and focused on exterior renovations of the original building. A complete tuck-pointing of the exterior sandstone was done as well as stone replacement, structural repairs, and modifications to the stone masonry. A new roof structure was constructed over the center portion of the building and original historic dormers were reconstructed.
PHASE TWO began in 2009 with the addition of a three-story annex. Great care was taken by the team to seamlessly connect the new building to the original. The annex brought the functionality of the building up to code by adding elevators and accessible restrooms. It also houses all of Old North's mechanical systems.
PHASE THREE was completed in 2017 and is described as "building a ship in a bottle." First, 150 piers were placed in the basement to shore up the foundation. Then, steel columns were constructed through all four floors. The building was gutted down to the original sandstone walls, from top to bottom, and rebuilt in the same fashion. The five new classrooms provide a flexible learning space with high-tech tools. Two conference rooms and a basement workroom double as storm shelters.